Single-Use Plastics Ban
On March 26, 2020, the LFP City Council adopted Ordinance No. 1206, which temporarily suspends operation and enforcement of Chapter 5.34, Plastic Bag Restrictions (due to COVID-19). Ordinance No. 1206 is in effect until action is taken by the City Council to reinstate operation of Ordinance No. 1181.
On September 13, 2018, the LFP City Council adopted Ordinance No. 1181 restricting the use and sale of single-use plastic bags and non-compostable food service containers, utensils, lids, and straws by all businesses and organizations in the City of Lake Forest Park. The effective date of the regulations is January 23, 2019.
What does this mean?
- All businesses inside the city limits may no longer provide single-use plastic carryout bags or non-compostable food service containers, straws, lids, or utensils to their customers after January 23, 2019.
- Recyclable paper bags may be provided to a customer upon request; there is a required pass-through charge of not less than ten (10) cents per bag provided, and retail establishments must indicate on the customer transaction receipt the number of recyclable paper bags provided and the amount of the pass-through charge.
- All bags, food service containers, straws, lids, and utensils provided to customers must be compostable.
- Disposable flexible plastic drinking straws can be made available when needed by customers due to medical or physical conditions.
- Other types of plastic bags such as, bags without handles for produce, bulk foods (meat, nuts, grains, candy, small hardware items, etc.); bags provided to contain or wrap flowers/potted plants; laundry dry-cleaning bags; newspaper bags; bags sold in packages containing multiple bags intended for garbage, pet waste, yard waste.
Will the City work with me on implementation?
- Yes, the new regulations allow granting of an extension for businesses that can show sufficient information the regulations would cause undue hardship. Requests for extension need to be submitted to the City in writing within 30 days of January 23, 2019.
What about violations/penalties?
- Violations are enforced using the procedures for civil infractions in Chapter 1.25 of the LFP Municipal Code.
In need of a reusable shopping bag?
- Stop by City Hall during business hours to grab a LFP shopping bag, two per household, while supplies last!
What if I have questions?
- Read What You Need to Know about the Single-Use Plastics Ban.
- Contact JoAnne Trudel, Deputy City Clerk, at 206-368-5440, or by email.