The log arch welcomed visitors who came by train or car from the early 1920s until 1950. This photo dates from 1945. The photographer is facing Lake Washington, the Lake Forest Park Mercantile is in the background. Bothell Way runs between the store and the arch.
In 1964, Forest Park Center opened. In the photo, Mayor Francis Holman (at left) was the first official customer.
Business leaders in the photo are C. B. Williams, owner of Rhodes [department store] of Seattle, Lamont Bean, president of Pay‘n Save Corporation, Philip Meyer, President of Rhodes, and C. E. Loveless, President of Forest Park, Inc., the center’s developer.
Today’s Lake Forest Park Town Center is the site of Third Place Books, an independent book seller. World–class authors come to the store and draw audiences from throughout the region. Adjacent to the bookstore is a thriving community center (Third Place Commons) that is a national model for public/private/government partnerships. Aside from hosting almost a thousand events a year that are open to all, the Commons is a town gathering place that draws people of all ages. A branch of the King County Library is also located on the lower level of the shopping center.